If You Suffer from Menstrual Irregularities, Acupuncture Just Might be the Answer
A female’s reproductive life is made up of 4 main components: menstruation, pregnancy, labour, and menopause. Many women are proactive and mindful when it comes to looking after themselves through pregnancy, but it is all far too common to disregard the importance of a healthy menstrual cycle each month.
Menstrual bleeding is said to be irregular if it occurs more often than every 21 days or extends beyond 8 days in duration. If you miss your period, experience it early or late, these could also be signs of an irregular menstrual cycle. There are several symptoms that are associated with menstrual irregularities; some of the most common signs include heavy bleeding, painful cramps, bleeding in between periods, or no menstruation at all. It’s important not to ignore any of these signs as they could be an indicator of a more serious health concern such as endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, or uterine fibroids.
Regular Menstruation: What are the Health Benefits?
If you experience a regular period, this is a sign of healthy menstruation, balanced hormones, and fertility in most cases. Healthy menstruation also protects the reproductive organs, as menstrual blood is rich in antibacterial and antiviral properties. Furthermore, the sex hormones that contribute to having a regular period, support healthy bone density as we age, an important factor in our body’s well-being.
What are the Common Reasons Behind Menstrual Disorders?
- Stress- Hormone Imbalance: Too much yang energy (stress hormones) consuming yin energy (sex hormones).
- Poor Diet: This may refer to too many processed foods or sugars, over-eating, or insufficient nourishment as a whole.
- Lifestyle: Not exercising enough or over-exercising, as well as over-working, and chemical exposure.
- Outside Environment: Sensitivity or over-exposure to cold, hot, or damp climate.
- Organic Disease: Structural impediment and/or genetic involvement.
How Can Acupuncture Assist with Regulating Menstruation?
Acupuncture treatment is a natural and recognized solution for regulating menstrual cycles and restoring menstrual irregularities. Here are just some of the ways acupuncture treatment can promote a healthy menstrual cycle:
- Regulation of Hormones – Regular periods involve several hormones – acupuncture has been known to control the feedback loop between your brain and your ovaries, otherwise known as the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Ovarian (HPO) axis.
- Improves Uterine and Ovarian Blood Flow – Acupuncture helps to relax the nervous system, causing blood vessels to dilate which enhances blood-flow levels to areas that are undernourished.
- Encourages Ovulation – When hormones are balanced and blood flow to the ovaries and uterus improves, this process naturally encourages healthy ovulation.
In Chinese medicine, a menstrual cycle that is “healthy” includes the following:
- About 29 days in length
- Is regular
- Flows 3-7 days
- Has a fresh red blood colour
- Is of average consistency
- Is of average flow (not too light or heavy in nature)
- Contains no clots
Other than acupuncture, patients should also do their best to get regular exercise and a consistent level of sleep every might to achieve menstrual health and wellness.
If you are experiencing concerns in relation to your menstrual health, we would be happy to sit down with you and discuss your situation. Come and meet our acupuncturist, and we’ll design a treatment plan to best benefit you.
Call 201-843-3633 to get more information on how acupuncture sessions could help with your menstrual irregularities.
November 21, 2019